The sun’s supposed to come out this Friday. Just in time for the opening of Sunrise Road in Mt. Rainier National Park. We plan to be there – 8am on June 28th is what the White River station ranger told us today. That’s one week earlier than last year’s opening of the road. With only road crews up there thus far, the ranger couldn’t confirm snow depth. However, with Glacier Basin camp (elevation 5965ft) still under 3-5ft of snow, we can expect to be skinning from the Sunrise parking lot which is at a higher elevation of 6,400ft -the highest road in the park. The Sunrise area offers endless backcountry skiing and riding from the parking lot and what we think are the best views of Mount Rainier and the Emmons glacier. The road to the White River campground is already open but the campground itself will open at the same time as Sunrise road. The White River campground is snow free. The snow level on the Glacier Basin trail and between Sunrise and White River campground is estimated to be at about 5300ft. If you’re planning to travel above 8700ft (to Interglacier’s Steamboat Prow 9702ft or adjacent Camp Sherman, for instance), be sure to check for snowfall and avalanche dangers. At last check today, NOAA’s forecasting up to 5″ of new snow at or above around 9000ft by tomorrow. NOAA’s also forecasting Seattle’s temps to reach 80 on Friday and climb from there all weekend long. Sounds like Sunrise will be the perfect place to go to escape the heat (NOAA’s point forecast below) and do car laps. At least that’s what we have in mind. See you there? No need to start too early. Our sun doesn’t set until 9:11pm on Friday (sun rises for almost 16hrs now). As if that doesn’t sound good enough, below is last year’s video from Interglacier to give you a view into what could be 4500ft (or more?) of glorious backcountry skiing and riding this weekend. Sunrise is located 60 miles northeast of the Nisqually Entrance and 14 miles northwest of the Sunrise/White River turnoff on Highway 410. Happy summer and Live to ski another day!
Point Forecast: Sunrise WA 46.92°N 121.64°W (Elev. 6186 ft)
- Friday: 30 percent chance of showers after 11am. Mostly sunny, with a high near 67. Light and variable wind becoming west southwest 5 to 7 mph in the afternoon.
- Friday Night: 30 percent chance of showers before 11pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 47.
- Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 67.
- Saturday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 48.
- Sunday: Sunny, with a high near 70.
- Sunday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 49.
- Monday: Sunny, with a high near 74.
- Monday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 51.
- Tuesday: Sunny, with a high near 77.